Thursday 15 August 2013

Interview: Lee Kynaston, the Grooming Guru

Lee Kynaston
Described by the Financial Times as "possibly your ideal grooming editor", Lee Kynaston is one of the UK's best-known and most experienced male grooming experts, having spent eight years at Men's Health as Grooming Editor and having written for a huge variety of other publications. 

A 2013 winner of Beauty/Grooming Blogger of the Year at the Fashion Monitor Journalism Awards, Lee is a true grooming icon.

I managed to catch Lee between assignments to get an insight into his simple grooming regime, and the fact that sometimes he just needs to rest his face!

What are your modern man credentials?

Although I'm ancient in human years I'm still quite youthful in Modern Man ones! I've been a journalist for over 23 years (with a few of them editing magazines) but I began writing about male grooming in earnest around 2000 and started blogging just over four and half years ago when there were virtually no blogs dedicated to the subject. Keeping in touch with all the latest trends and developments in male grooming also keeps me thoroughly 'modern'! 

What do you look for when introducing something into your grooming regime?

I like my skincare products to be simple, effective and fragrance-free, or minimally fragranced. I'm absolutely no snob about products either. I use ones that are ridiculously expensive but also ones that are cheap as chips. People often say "oh you shouldn't use such-and-such a product because it doesn't agree with my skin", but that's their skin. If you find something that suits you, stick with it. If stuff works it works. 

So, what's the one product you couldn't live without?

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
That's such a tough question. Ultimately, I'd have to say my favourite fragrance, Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene. I say this because I've been wearing it, on and off, since I was about 18 and every spray comes with 28 years of memories. No other fragrance has the quite the same effect on me because no other fragrance has those memories built into its formulation. 

And the one that's most overrated? 

Well, the beauty industry is one that snacks almost exclusively on hyperbole so there are lots! I've written elsewhere that I found the James Bond 007 fragrance underwhelming. Mind you, it has still sold shedloads!

What's your dirty little grooming secret?

That occasionally I don't groom at all! I like to think of it as "resting my face", lol!

And finally, your top tip for the modern man?

That there's nothing wrong with being old fashioned occasionally! As any man will discover once he explores brands like Geo. F. Trumper, Taylor of Old Bond Street and D R Harris

Amen to that. Lee's wonderful blog, the Grooming Guru, can be found at: http://groomingguru.co.uk.  

4 comments:

  1. Dear Stuart and Guru
    Bravo both!
    Gray Flannel... one of the finest and best value fragrances known to man.
    And too true about all those heritage brands... there are reasons why they have (like The Dandy) been around so long!
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And yes - particularly Taylor of Old Bond Street is a favourite of mine too!

      Delete
  2. Great interview. Lee certainly knows his field!

    ReplyDelete