Sunday 11 August 2013

Kiehl's, The Ultimate Men's After-Shave Balm and Moisturiser (£17.50, 125ml)

I am typically sceptical of products that are designed specifically for part of the face. I am inclined to agree with Sali Hughes' assessment of eye creams, and would generally have similar views about post-shaving moisturisers. They're all just moisturisers, no?

But having said that, I do very much enjoy Kiehl's Ultimate Men's After-Shave Balm and Moisturiser. And this is because, despite being formulated especially for the shaven area, it can be used to soothe and moisturise both after shaving or anytime your skin needs a boost.

Kiehl's - after shaving
or anytime
It has all the features of a balm, and should be used as such. For example, the avocado oil is super moisturising, and the allantoin (as a bacteria inhibitor) can reduce and soothe inflammation of the skin. Both fantastic for alleviating the nasty effects of the razor blade.

I have a naturally oily t-zone, so given its ingredients I wouldn't be applying the Kiehl's anywhere other than the shaven area, where my skin can be dry. However, I do find that my neck especially can become a little sore or inflamed during the day (particularly where a starchy shirt might rub), and having this around to reapply provides some effective relief.

I don't use this product on days I don't shave. On those mornings I generally use an oil-free "balancing" moisturiser (which have no doubt I will blog about another time!) over the entire face. I always use an oil-free product for my t-zone.

For those men who have dry skin and suffer from the daily shave - give this product a go!

A tip: if you're planning a trip to the USA soon (or know someone who is), stock up on your Kiehl's then. It is just plain cheaper when paying in Benjamins.


4 comments:

  1. I tend to use the same razor blade for about 14 weeks and find after the first week or two the rash/irritation goes completely. You would have thought it would get worse! Anyway, I find the cream I use now for the times I DO use a new razor doesn't really help much, so perhaps I will give this a go and let you know what I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting - please let me know how the Kiehl's works out for you. Get in touch if you want further suggestions! There are good products out there so I'm sure something will help.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Stuart
    Interesting advice about buying in the US of A... when I was last there I found that sadly (at least in NYC) Kiehl's and Aveda, my ever-ready American holiday purchases were no longer the bargains they had once been.
    Perhaps it was just hefty sales tax or a weak pound but I was a sad Dandy to come back somewhat empty-handed.
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's disappointing news! Luckily the after-shave balm is still cheaper - £17.50 in the UK or $18 Stateside (at least according to the Kiehl's website). Certainly not cheap, but still a saving. Surprisingly, I also found Kiehl's products were much cheaper in Hong Kong (than in the UK). I'm not sure if this applies to the rest of Asia or not...

      I'm sure Kiehl's regrets very much being the cause of a sad Dandy!

      Stuart

      Delete