Sunday 4 August 2013

Penhaligon’s, Zizonia Eau de Toilette (£110.00, 100ml)

Zizonia - a bit of old India

I thought I'd start by reviewing a product that the majority of us use every day - the eau de toilette (aftershave, cologne, scent or whatever else you choose to call it).
Part of the Penhaligon’s “Anthology” collection, Zizonia (pictured right) is my current spice.
At £110, it ain’t cheap. In fact, I'm certain that the shop assistant at the perfumer's store in the Royal Exchange, Bank, was slightly bashful about revealing the price to me. This is unsurprising - even after having mentally taken the decision to buy it I had to take a moment, recognising what it would do to my bank balance.
But sometimes it's worth it. And for me, nothing is as elegant or stylish as a Penhaligon’s eau de toilette bottle. With the royal warrant holder logo blazoned on the front and the jaunty bow tie at the bottle neck, I’m sold.
With heart notes of cardamom, black pepper and cumin (among others), there is a whiff of Indian delight about Zizonia. The orange and coriander head notes, however, keep the fragrance fresh and light. And modern, despite being first developed in 1930.
The user review of this product at Base Notes gave me some rofls. Although, despite the alarming eccentricity, it does go some way to explaining how I feel about Zizonia.
Tom Ford favourite - Blenheim Bouquet (£85.00, 100ml)
The main problem is longevity. I have used another Penhaligon’s fragrance, the Tom Ford-favourite Blenheim Bouquet (pictured left), which just seems to last longer on the skin. It is also cheaper. And a total classic going strong since 1902.
Come the end of my Zizonia bottle, which have no doubt I have enjoyed, I’ll be going back to Blenheim.
If you're interested, you can purchase your Penhaligon's at penhaligons.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment