Tuesday 3 September 2013

Product Review: Hermes, Terre d'Hermès Eau de Toilette (£52.00, 50ml)

Citrus meets cedar at Hermes

As some of you know, I’m normally a Penhaligon’s man exclusively when it comes to the eau de toilette. If it wasn’t first marketed pre-WWII then I have little interest, and if it doesn’t have a bow tie at the bottle neck then it’s not classy.

However, for the past week I have been wearing Terre d'Hermès, which, being from 2006, is a relative newbie in my book. And I must say I like it.

Now, it seems that this is a love it or hate it kind of fragrance, or so the reviews at Fragrantica suggest. But on acquaintance I’m not sure it should be quite so polarising.

What it is, however, is a fragrance of two halves. When you first spray, you get an overwhelming hit from the top notes (orange and grapefruit), and vetiver is definitely there too.

However, once it has settled on the skin it becomes much more “citrus meets cedar”, with some woody base notes taking hold. You also get a lovely peppery overlay. The longevity is good, although don’t expect to walk around smelling of oranges and grapefruit beyond the first 10 minutes – that initial burst wears off quite quickly.
  
All that being said, I think this would make a really smart choice for those upcoming autumn days. You can recall thoughts of summer upon the initial citrusy application and then enjoy the rich, masculine and woody scents for the rest of the day, to match perfectly the changing colour of the trees. Like my imagery!?

But I'm also super interested - what are your favourite autumn scents?

No comments:

Post a Comment